What is this??

All about taking care of your snail.
Food, temperature, water quality etc.
Only registered users can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

What is this??

Postby SnoAngel on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 am

So we are new to the whole snail thing and a while back I was watching them and the blue mystery we have had this worm looking thing coming out from inside his shell. I researched on the internet to try and figure out what in the world it was and didn't have any luck. It isn't there all the time or at least isn't visible. It seems to grow and then shrink. Sorry if this is weird but it is almost like a male erection :oops: . Sorry don't know how else to explain it. I believe it is part of the snail, as the stripes of it (like section dividers) are the same color as the snail but in between is a little lighter of a color but was just wondering what it is....

Any help is much appreciated!!! Thank you!
SnoAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:31 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum family! :wave: It depends on which side you are seeing the "appendage". With the snail facing you, if the thing is on the left, it is a male snail and that's his penis. If it is on the right, it's the siphon which they can extend to help them get oxygen. Apple snails have a lung and a gill so they can get their oxygen out of the water or out of the air. You can get a better picture of it in the anatomy section which you can click on to your left.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby SnoAngel on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:16 pm

OK in this picture someone on here posted, on the right hand side there is a thing that looks like a worm....is that penis or something else??? Cause that picture says it is a female I guess that is why I am confused!!
SnoAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby rpilla001 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Lets calrify.

In the photo the syphon is on the right side of the photo which is the left side of the snail when viewed from overhead.

The males penis would be on the left side of this photo if it were a male. This would make it on the right side of the snail when viewed from above.

The penis is usually white where as the syphon is the same color as the rest of the body.

SIPHON

Keep on Sliming
Sincerely
Rpilla
rpilla001
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:36 am

LOL Robert! That snail looks like he's hailing a cab! :D
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SnoAngel on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:43 pm

It must be the syphon then cause it looks like that thing in your photo that is long and sticking up....Thank you!!
SnoAngel
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: What is this??

Postby Annie Anderson on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:20 am

This snail had been mating all night and most of the day. I was able to get this picture before he had completely stowed his baggage. This is the penis sheath--it's on his right side:

you can see the difference between this and the siphon. The penis sheath is always white. The siphon is usually the same color as the snail's body. This purple snail has his siphon out near the water surface to get some air into his lung. It's located on his left side and looks very different:

Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Snail care