Calling on the Snail Wisdom of Donya....

Research related apple snail topics (like relations between species, article discussions, apple snail ecology, anatomy, genetic info etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: pbgroupie, Donya, Board moderators

Calling on the Snail Wisdom of Donya....

Postby Acsuth on Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:10 pm

or any other experienced bridgesii breeder :)

I just saw my dark purple snail(not quite sure, but I think it's CSB) mating with my large wild(jade with purple stripes) snail. I understand that the genetics gets a little tricky when purples are crossed with wilds(probably should have separated them, huh?) anyway...any clue as to what I can expect to see in the offspring(as many options as you know, please!)?

thanks!

Amanda
Acsuth
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:48 pm

You'll probably get just wilds. That's the problem with crossing anything to wild, is that in the event you have a homozygous dominant individual for all the traits all the offspring will be wild, even if they are heterozygous. However, assuming the wild has ALL the recessives, here are the colors in order of liklihood (most likely to least likely):

1. wild
2. red-brown
3. striped yellow
4. jade
5. golden
6. blue
7. ivory
8. dark striped purple CSB
9. light striped purple (ivory)

Burgundy and dark burgundy could be in there somewhere as well, probably somewhere in the middle.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
- My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Acsuth on Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:02 pm

yikes! I guess I'll be moving my pair of wilds to another tank asap! I'd like to have some variety -- thanks a lot Donya, you've been really helpful :)

Amanda
Acsuth
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby marchsunrise on Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:57 pm

I was looking at the genetics page on this sight and found the link to Donya's page... I tried the link there and it said it could not find the page I was looking for.. Just thought someone would like to know that. I clicked the link on this topic and it worked just fine. So Maybe there is something wrong with the link on the genetics page ??? I don't know enough about computers to say for sure maybe it was my computer going squirrely..
But any who Great page Donya. Very informative and well written in laymans terms. :yes:
Genetics makes my brain hurt :toomuch: lol :lol:
P.s who ever started that caniculatta song... I have it stuck in my head to the tune of the copa cabana by barry manilow :toomuch:
<--- not a barry manilow fan. Don't know if that is the tune it was intended to have but it is definately stuck.. :roll:
Peace, Marchsunrise
I laugh, I cry, I watch snail TV....
marchsunrise
Little snail
Little snail

Return to Scientific topics