Shells Pitting

All about health problems of your snails (shell holes, inactivity etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Shells Pitting

Postby Mamaschild on Wed May 18, 2005 3:48 pm

This is something that has bothered me for a while, but I haven't seen anyone mention it in my time here. :-?

You all have seen my babies, the ones I've raised, and I have been told they have great shells. However, every snail I have gotten as a juvenile or adult (with exception of one Ivory) is NOW pitted? All my babies still have great shells, just the ones that I have ADDED to my tank are pitted.

I can't tell you the previous tank conditions of every one I've received, but a few of them came from people I KNOW take good care of their snails, and they looked great when I got them. My tank conditions are as follows:
Ph - 7.6 (my tap water)
Temp - 78-80
Gh - 12
Kh - 7
40g Breeder, well planted, and the snails are WELL fed.

Any idea what would make the adults LOOSE their nice shell after they have been with me for a few months? I am pretty sure my conditions are favorable for good shells, if not perfect :oops:

One thing, there are a bunch of MTS in the tank with them, and I used to see them ALL OVER the other snails. However, since I added the Dojos, they seem to be underground more. Could they have nibbled the shells?

Please help, I have one Pink male that is starting to look ugly.....not that his appearance matters much, I just want him to throw Pink babies :wink:
Currently running 9 tanks, 3 x 20g, 26g, 2 x 40g, 2 x 55g and 125g
Mamaschild
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Mamaschild on Thu May 19, 2005 4:18 pm

*BUMP*

So, no ideas?? I was just told on another site that my Ph is too low, and my GH is too high? Is that right? If so, maybe I caused the pitting???? :err:
Mamaschild
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

pitting

Postby Jennifer1978 on Thu May 19, 2005 7:43 pm

some of my canas have some pitting i dont have any mts they had a bit when i got them from the store but i see a few new ones i think its from my snails having a diving hobby they go to the top and drop to the bottom alot and hit the spiral often its nothing major but thats what i think its from cause i know my water is ok as i check it like every 2 or 3 days yes yes im obsessed
Jennifer1978
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby joyce tryoon on Fri May 20, 2005 4:03 am

Mamaschild,
When my snails get older I see pitting.I have well water and my tests are all in good ranges for snails.
I add kent calcium and this seems to cover the pits. I know your frustration.
Younger the snail the nicer the shell. Most of my Canas have pits in their sphires the older ones.
Hugs,
Joyce
joyce tryoon

Postby Mamaschild on Fri May 20, 2005 3:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys :D Yep, frustrating :x

Anyway, I have not been adding calcium or iodine, well, I add calcium to teh cookies. I will start doing that once I get to the LFS today. I hope that will help with any future issues.

Ok, I am still curious if anyone feels my levels are "bad". Anyone??

I thought of something yesterday....My babies that hatched in December were originally in Ph 7. I was adjusting the tank for my Apistos. After learning they needed a higher Ph, I stopped adjusting and let it go back to tap water (7.6). My babies have some spire damage, but the main shell is great. This is one

A wonderful person made it into a moving Avatar for me, but this is the pic :)

Anyway, these guys are close to full-grown, and don't have shell pitting. It's just the ones I've added to my tank as juveniles or Adults....that's what I don't understand :cry:
Mamaschild
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby bethany on Fri May 20, 2005 9:46 pm

Okay, I am going to make a guess, might be way off...

The outer layer which we find so pretty is organic, not mineral. It could be that what YOU feed your babies allows them to develop a thicker outer layer... I would imagine it would be good protein content with trace minerals fed in water conditions which are healthy. Other snails may not have that advantage so the NATURAL deterioration of shells with age is delayed in your snails because they have more, thicker, outer layer to start with. I'm just guessing.

GH may be higher than some folks, I try to keep my KH higher. Don't think there is anything wrong with 7.6. Better to let the water be what it naturally wants to be if it reasonable rather than having the pH swinging up and down because of your efforts to fight it.
bethany
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby joyce tryoon on Fri May 20, 2005 10:12 pm

Bethany
Thats pretty smart thinking and makes sense.
Thanks
Hugs,
Joyce
joyce tryoon

**Added Pics

Postby Mamaschild on Mon May 23, 2005 4:50 pm

Ok, I managed to get some ics of one snail that shows the pitting I'm talking about. This snail has been with me for a few months, hasn't grown much, so I assume it's close if not full-grown, and was close to perfect when I got it.

Same Snail
And an Ivory that's been here about the same amount of time, but shows NO Pitting??

Please note the little perfect circles....it looks like the shell has been drilled???

Sorry, for some reason, Photobucket converted two of them to bmp, so you will have to click them to see :x
Mamaschild
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby joyce tryoon on Mon May 23, 2005 7:40 pm

WOW!
Those sure look like all the pics I've seen on the net of drill holes in snails.
I don't have that kind of pitting. What else is in that tank?
I did read somewhere that moon snails and some other type of snails. do something that looks like that. Don't know what family the moon snails are in also remember Murexas do this.
Anyway what I do remember :D Is that the snail secretes a acid that softens the shell and it can get through a snail shell in less then 24 hours. It secretes a chemical in the hole to relax the snail tissue and eats the snails flesh. Then just goes on to make another hole.and does the same thing.
I'm going to check my snails all of them to see if I see this, on any of them.

When I get some time I will see if I can find where I read that.
I thought you just meant the erosion type pitting. Those are perfect holes.
Hugs,
Joyce
joyce tryoon

Postby Mamaschild on Mon May 23, 2005 8:59 pm

Oh, Thank GOD.....someone other then me sees it as drill holes :roll:

I swear, it's the baby MTS :o I still see TINY ones attached to the Brigs. They will be on the Brig in the same spot for HOURS. The Brigs move around and do their thing like nothing is happening, so it must not hurt??

The only things in the 40g tank are:
Brigs, from 1 month to full-grown
4 German Rams (2 pair)
2 Apisto Cacatuoides (1 pair)
2 gold Dojos (~3")
Plus MTS (Mocha & Cremes from Barb)
LOTS of plants

This tank used to have Pond and Ramshorn snails, but as the Brigs took over, they disappeared.

Joyce, thank you SO MUCH....maybe I'm NOT crazy, yet :o
Mamaschild
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Mamaschild on Mon May 23, 2005 10:55 pm

Donya.......I figure if I put your name in here, you might notice the post???

Can you help, here? I am at a loss as to what to do?
Mamaschild
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SnailTrail on Mon May 23, 2005 11:38 pm

Maybe you could start a new post called drilled holes in shell or something and add the photo.

I've never seen anything like that before :o .....there's a post on here about MTS eating away operculums too. :err:

Do you think the constant rasping in one spot removes a tiny area of the surface of the shell, leaving the exposed area more prone to shell erosion?

I hope your snail will be ok.

Janet :dance:
SnailTrail
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby joyce tryoon on Tue May 24, 2005 1:56 am

MAMASCHILD,
Looked around a bit on the net. I found where they said they would eat anything dead. So if something dies, get it out fast cause it would be gone by morning.
Also found something else of interest. MTS kill and eat ramshorns :o
You said that you thought your Bridgii ate them . Maybe not :lol:
I can give you the site where I read this.
Just keep finding sites that say they are carnivors (meat eaters) can't spell worth a darn.
Still haven't checked all my snails. There is not alot out there on these guys.
They are kind of all bunched togethor. Lots of fossil records about them making drilllholes but can't find up to date info,
I know they can chew off trap doors and chew holes in the shells. But that drill hole picture is a new one. I used to have those pest ramhorn snails but like yours , they disappeared.I just figured the Canas or Insurlarums gobbled them up. The Insurlarums will eat anything.
I'll keep looking and know Donya has been looking too. Bugs me
Hugs,
Joyce
joyce tryoon

Postby SnailTrail on Tue May 24, 2005 2:19 am

One thing I have noticed about my tank since I added the MTS....there's hardly any physid eggs on the leaves of my plants.
I had been crushing the eggs I would find on the glass but not the plants and the leaves looked like a flock of birds had pooped like crazy all over them.

I also had those tiny doughnut pest snails which I left alone cos there wasn't that many but there's hardly any now....I saw one before.

If the MTS don't have anything to do with this i've got a lot of critters hiding in my gravel :err:

:dance:
SnailTrail
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Mamaschild on Tue May 24, 2005 3:20 pm

Thanks, Gals. Joyce, I'm up for any links you think might help?? I truely appreciate you looking for me :flowers:

Snailtrail, I think I will start a new post. I don' think Donya has noticed this and I would really like her input :)
Mamaschild
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Snail health problems