planaria treatment

All about health problems of your snails (shell holes, inactivity etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

planaria treatment

Postby abracadavra on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:03 am

How do you all deal with planaria? And is there a real treatment for it?

I was thinking that planaria dies from the CO2 in soda (Carbonic acid).
Is it possible to put the snail in dilluted soda?
The snail can breathe air and the planaria will die of a lack of oxygen.

Has anybody any expirience with this?
abracadavra
Member snail
Member snail

Postby PaulaO on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:38 pm

Planaria do not bother living things. They eat dead things and things such as poop, excess food, etc. They are part of almost every tank.

Some fish will eat planaria but not bother the snails. Khuli loaches are one.

I've been fighting planaria in my planted tank for a long time and nothing really seems to get rid of them. I think it is the excess poop from all the red ramshorn and trumpet snails.

As for the soda, I'm not sure. The snail lives in water so whatever is in the water is in the snail. There's no way for the soda to not harm its body.
PaulaO
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

planaria do not bother applesnails????????

Postby abracadavra on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:21 am

Why do you think that planaria does not bother the snails?
3 of my snails died after I found holes with planaria on the snails before they went to heaven :(

I do think that planaria eats applesnails when they dont have enough food.
abracadavra
Member snail
Member snail

Postby badflash on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:46 am

When a snail gets sick the planaria will mob them. They have to be sick first and then they start eating the dead parts.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby abracadavra on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:58 am

Ok but hasnt anybody any problems with planaria, and why does everybody get rid of it then?

And if the snail is sick and covered with planaria, then there is nothing you can do to stop them eating the snail?
abracadavra
Member snail
Member snail

Postby PaulaO on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:58 pm

There are some fish you can get that will eat them. Khuli loaches are one. Figure 8 puffers are another, although the puffer will eat the snails, too.

The other thing to do is to eliminate their source. Planaria exist due to overpopulation (poop is food) and/or overfeeding. Consider taking out the substrate and cutting drastically back on food. If there are places where stuff piles up, such as corners, try to create a current to clear that corner out.

I've seen that planaria like to hang out under thing, such as the bottom of a rock or the food bowl. I take this out at each cleaning and rinse well, washing the little snots down the sink.

If you have a sick snail and see the planaria on it, take the snail out of the infested tank. Rinse it with tank water (or dechlorinated water) and put in a hospital tank or a bowl so the planaria will leave it alone.

However, I have seen that when planaria start bothering a snail who is ill, they are basically telling me the snail has a terminal illness.

Instead of focusing on the planaria (something you cannot get rid of completely), try to figure out why your snails are dying. Why did they have holes in their shells? What is the water chemistry in their tank?
PaulaO
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby abracadavra on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:30 pm

Thank you for the tips.

They didnt have holes in their shells but in their bodies, I thought that the planaria had eaten the holes.
Member snail

Postby PaulaO on Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:09 am

If the tissue was dead, yes, planaria will eat it. But if it is live tissue on a dying snail.... I don't know.
PaulaO
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby abracadavra on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:46 pm

The following threat is a Dutch one but you can see an example of an attacked snail:

http://www.kreeftengarnalen.nl/phpBB2/p ... ac2073d062

Image[/url]
abracadavra
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 am

I used to have LOTS of planaria in my 10 gallon baby brig tank but I've never seen any of my snails damaged by any, not even the tiny babies. Are you sure that's what happened to that poor brig? I've never seen anything like that :o . I was lucky enough to get some corydoras catfish that are very hungry and they got rid of almost all the planaria--in fact I haven't seen one in weeks!
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby abracadavra on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:02 am

there are many planaria species, and some of them are predators.
In some dutch discussion boards a few other people say that planaria does nothing and other people say that the planaria hunt their snails
Member snail

Postby PaulaO on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:15 am

It seems the term "planaria" is being used as a name for almost any flat worm in an aquarium. From what I have read, there are several different species, each slightly different.

I think that if someone were to make a claim that a planaria is eating their live snails, I would want to see a photo of that planaria. a good enough one that I would be able to identify it for what it really is.

And that is the main problem with identifying any aquarium parasite or pest. We have given them all nicknames that vary from region to region and country to country. Languages are different and so are the nicknames.
PaulaO
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Blötdjur on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:26 pm

I don't know if there are planaria that can do that to a healthy Apple Snail, but there almost certainly are leeches that can.

Not all leeches suck blood. Many eat the tissue of other animals, and some of those eat snails.

I have even implanted large species of planaria in a couple of my tanks because I like invertebrates.
Blötdjur
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

should I worry?

Postby Chris OE on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:49 pm

I've got little white (2 - 3 mm) invertebrates that I'm finding as I vaccum the bare bottom tanks I have some of my snails in. I don't know if they're leeches or planaria or flukes or what.

My snails have circular holes in their shells as if something burrowed through the shell. I also have ramshorns in the tanks with them. Do ramshorns ever damage apple snail shells?

I used oyster shells (empty) bought from a beachcomber to up the calcium of the water. I did disinfect them with a bleach solution, but I also assumed that anything that bothered the oysters wouldn't like fresh water. Now I am all worried I've introduced something that is mucking with my snail's shells! Arrgh.

I haven't done water testing yet. I will go do that.
Chris OE
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Donya on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:08 pm

Were the planaria observed in the process of doing the damage and not just at the site of existing damage? This looks like the kind of damage commonly done by fish and even other snails. Unless you have observed the Planaria in the process of causing the damage, it is improbable that they had any role in large-scale tissue damage. Once the damage has alraedy occured, Planaria will then be attraced to those areas because there is dead/damaged tissue present. Planaria are also attracted to infected areas on snails for the same reasons, but are not the source of the damage in those cases.

In some dutch discussion boards a few other people say that planaria does nothing and other people say that the planaria hunt their snails

This idea that Planaria can attack and harm larger animals is often due to incorrect assumptions and/or misidentification of the worms. I have yet to see someone present any form of proof of such a thing being caused true Planaria, while there are many stores of people attributing damage to animals that are unrealistic and based on incorrect assumptions.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Next

Return to Snail health problems