Can anyone tell me about these Snails? Pics inside

Other freshwater snails, like MTS, viviparidae, and etc.

Moderator: Board moderators

Can anyone tell me about these Snails? Pics inside

Postby Nerite and Apple Mom on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:46 pm

Sorry for the blurriness on this last one.

A store that has a good variety of aquatic snails recently got two new types in; one is an oval-shaped Sulawesi snail. The other are these big ones. Originally they were listed as "blue turbo" snails, but I knew that wasn't right. Now they are being listed as a type of Sulawesi snail, but all the Sulawesi snails I'm seeing on Google aren't like these at all. They have them in a freshwater setup with a heater. They've had these snails for about six months I think, and I keep wondering about them, but I passed thinking they would get them in again (the "snail person" there said he hasn't been able to find them again). They've been eating algae and fish food in the tank and apparently generally cleaning up after the fish (if a fish dies they've seen them crawling around on them). Can anyone tell me about these; diet, general care? I told the guy I would see if I could find general information on these and the confirmed Sulawesi snails and report back to them so they can provide the most ideal setup for them. I'm thinking of setting up a spare 3 gallon tank for one or two of these depending on their diet (I don't want to get one until I know more about their care).

In the store several have a very light purple hue to them (some, that already sold, unfortunately had a more noticeable purple coloration), others are more white with the brown. I'm not sure why the camera didn't pick up on it.
Nerite and Apple Mom
Parent snail
Parent snail

Re: Can anyone tell me about these Snails? Pics inside

Postby Nerite and Apple Mom on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Update: Snails aren't very active, but didn't appear too terribly active at the store either (they were moving around but not a ton and were slow, despite having a submersible adjustable heater). The little one hasn't moved at all since I got them for the most part, when the body starts to out of the shell a little I try to put the snail upside right. Unfortunately due to how the shell is, I cannot get the snail sitting in an upright position, and have no idea if they, like nerite snails, can push themselves back upright like nerites can. My tanks are barebottom, maybe that's part of the problem or something. If they seem to discomforted after a few days I might have to take them back to the store (I know I probably wouldn't get refunded/credited unless the one person is there, but I want them to be comfortable).

I picked up two of them, an adult and a very small baby. They are eating what the fish don't eat (sinking pelleted fish food) and possibly algae, and the store has been carrying them for at least four months now with no losses. From what I'm reading, other Sulawesi snails eat blanched vegetables, fish leavings (partially eaten/uneaten fish food and even other things left behind sometimes but I'm guessing they only do that when food is scarce), and diatoms. I still haven't found any pictures of these guys online though, but I'm going to do what the store is doing and then some (by giving organic vegetables like zucchini and blanched chard), obviously heated and filtered cycled tank with some live plants (not sure if these guys eat live plants or not, I'm thinking not since the ones in the tank at the store weren't eaten).
Nerite and Apple Mom
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Nerite and Apple Mom on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Another update; I finally got the baby one from his or her side (had to prop 'em against a peice of driftwood and it took awhile so he wouldn't just fall over), I don't think they are capable of getting back up from their side like nerite snails, since the poor dear stayed on his or her side all night. The way the shell is on the baby makes it really hard to get upright unless the snail is out of the shell. No more than a minute after I got em properly adjusted I saw the foot come out and the baby snail moving forward a little. The larger one is moving around and checked out some organic blanched zucchini before I went to bed, but not sure if he ate any or not. I need to find some good fish food wafers I can put in for them in case they will eat that (I was going to get Omega One, it had the best ingredients list to me with more vegetables than other brands, but then I saw they add ethoxyquin right to the food, argh). My nerites hated the HBH algae wafers, which are the best algae-based wafers I've found, and not sure the apple snails or the new guys would eat them either. Maybe I should just make my own snail "biscuits", but I'm concerned about not getting enough/the right balance of nutrients.
Nerite and Apple Mom
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Nerite and Apple Mom on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:09 am

Exciting news: I was doing a water change today in the snail tank that holds the two of these guys I purchased. I had to do a double-take as I saw two babies side by side; one of these two Sulawesi snails (I'm guessing has to be the large one since the other one is just a little bigger than this new, fast-growing baby) gave birth. The snails have been a lot more active in my tank lately, moving around more, checking out the bogwood log with java fern attached I put in there, and the large one even venturing up the side a little to get some organic zucchini. Now the question is (since these snails are only one sex); did the large one come to me after having mated with a male at the tank in the store, or is the baby I picked up old enough to reproduce and mated with the large one? I'm not sure if they can store sperm like apple snails can.

I couldn't find much information on them but I'm treating them like other species of Sulawesi and they are definitely thriving as both babies are growing, the adult and babies eating well, and they are pretty active (they were pretty sendentary in the tank at the store, maybe because the tank had fish as well, and I don't think they put fresh vegetables in there, just sinking fish foods and algae grows in there). I'm offering very thin cut organic zucchini, blanched organic Swiss chard, and sinking New Life Spectrum Water Stable Wafers (they appear to have a good amount of vegetable matter in them and Herring and Krill as well) to the different species of snail. Not sure if any of the snails are eating the wafers.
Nerite and Apple Mom
Parent snail
Parent snail

Return to Other freshwater snails