Finding snails in Georgia

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

Finding snails in Georgia

Postby rubydoo on Mon May 23, 2005 9:35 pm

This might be of interest to some of you.

The Associated Press
BLACKSHEAR, Ga. (AP) - A voracious, fast-breeding South American snail that is a problem in four states and Indonesia has been discovered for the first time in Georgia, officials say.
The single alien snail was found along the Alabaha River in southeastern Georgia's Pierce County last month, wildlife officials said. It was identified as a channeled apple snail, similar to those raising environmental concerns in at least nine Florida counties.

With yellow-to-brown shells that can grow to the size of a baseball, the large snails ravage many types of aquatic plants that provide food and shelter for native species. They can multiply quickly because they lay thousands of eggs and have no natural enemies.

Georgia Department of Natural Resources biologists believe the snail found near Blackshear could have been dumped from an aquarium.

"This discovery is one of particular interest because of the invasive nature of the species," said Jon Ambrose, assistant chief of DNR's Non-game Wildlife and Natural Heritage Section. "Because of the array of problems that can arise from releasing non-native species into Georgia's waters, we want to stress that this is not a responsible practice for pet owners."

Biologists hope Georgia's winters, which are slightly colder than Florida's, will keep any more of the foreign snails out of the Peach State.

DNR biologists searched the site along the Alabaha, a tributary of the Satilla River, again last weekend. They found no other channeled apple snails, but may return for a more exhaustive search, officials said.
rubydoo
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby ladybugmom on Tue May 24, 2005 2:08 am

Hmmm I live close by. Maybe I can throw them a few more and give them something to find! LOL Only kidding!!!
Just as a watched pot doesn't boil....
A watched clutch won't hatch. (I need a life!!)
ladybugmom
Member snail
Member snail

Postby GK on Tue May 24, 2005 2:38 am

~GK went down to georgia, lookin for a snail to steal~
And got more than he bargained for! :lol: :-? Really, people, this is a serious problem...
Life's a dance, you learn as you go. Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow. Don't worry 'bout what you don't know, Life's a dance you learn as you go.
GK
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby angelfish_luver on Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:35 pm

I could rid them of a couple of snails!:roll: :idea: This really is a big problem. I wonder who the irasponsible person is who threw his/her apple snails in to start with. :toomuch:
"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees." - Dr Seuss
angelfish_luver
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby ladybugmom on Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:34 pm

LOL, I don't know but I live in the south and you can bet they are just as serious as murder about that one wee snail. I know that they can cause problems but I still can't help laughing at the whole situation!
"Got me a foreign snail, yupper. Gonna go do some testin' on it. Bet it's laid eggs and come deer season won't be a hidey place anywhere for deer or hunters. Dag burn snail all of Georiga will be bare and useless as tits on a boar hog."
ROFL
Give them the idea that they can use them as bait and they'll welcome them with open arms! LOL
Just as a watched pot doesn't boil....
A watched clutch won't hatch. (I need a life!!)
ladybugmom
Member snail
Member snail

Return to (Apple) snails in the news