Development of a Penis from the Vestigial Penis...

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

Development of a Penis from the Vestigial Penis...

Postby SunsetSnails on Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:11 pm

Development of a Penis from the Vestigial Penis in the
Female Apple Snail, Pomacea canaliculata

NAOKUNI TAKEDA
Brainway Group, Brain Science Institute, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research,
2-1 Wako, Saitama 351-0198, Japan

ABSTRACT
In the apple snail (Pomacea canaliculata), females have an undifferentiated mass of tissue near the anus. Although this mass is called the vestigial penis, there are no signs of a hermaphroditic gonad or any structure that represents a transition from one sex to the other. Based on considerations of the steroid hormone theory of reproduction and in view of disruption of endocrine systems in molluscs by organotins, a study was made of the effects of tributyltin on female snails. Exposure to tributyltin resulted in the so-called imposer phenomenon, and both a penis and a penis sheath were newly generated from the so-called vestigial penis. The same phenomenon was also induced by testosterone. Thus the vestigial penis, named more than one hundred years ago, has been demonstrated for the first time to be a rudiment of the penis itself.

Full article (PDF)
SunsetSnails
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SunsetSnails on Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:17 pm

No one thinks this is amazingly interesting besides me????

:cry: :cry: :cry:
SunsetSnails
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Stijn on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:30 pm

It's very interesting! Let's now hope that it isn't appearing in my snail population as effect of environmental polution :)

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Stijn

btw. I removed the full article and replaced it with the abstract +link to full article. This because there might be copyright problems with adding the whole article. Just to be sure...
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

Postby SunsetSnails on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:55 pm

:lol: Yea, lets hope!!! I kind of wish I could experience this phenomonen in my tank!!!

Yea, thanks for editing that for me - it was rather weird looking, I'm sure it is easier to read in PDF format.

Okay, that is fine also with the copyright issue. I understand.

Thanks for reading! I had to do some research (in the periodicals) at my college for the paper I was writing and found this.

--Sunset Snail
P.S. Stijn, do you do any research yourself such as experiments, etc.?
SunsetSnails
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Stijn on Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:59 pm

This kind of articles are often not easy to read. My compliments that you do read them!

No, my research isn't on snail biology, although it would be very interesting! I look at human material :)
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

Postby luvfishies on Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:12 pm

This sounds like it would be an interesting read.

However, when I go to download the PDF file I get an error message saying that the file is damaged and cannot be fixed.
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby SunsetSnails on Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:45 pm

Stijn wrote:This kind of articles are often not easy to read. My compliments that you do read them!

No, my research isn't on snail biology, although it would be very interesting! I look at human material :)

Since I understand the anatomy of an Applesnail, the only thing I had to look up was how much a nanogram is.... weird? Yes.

Is there a such thing as snail biology? I love snails... but not so much all other mollusks, even though they are interesting as well.
SunsetSnails
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SunsetSnails on Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:45 pm

luvfishies wrote:This sounds like it would be an interesting read.

However, when I go to download the PDF file I get an error message saying that the file is damaged and cannot be fixed.

I have the article saved on my computer if you can not find it... :) It is VERY interesting... let me know if you cant access it!!!
SunsetSnails
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to (Apple) snails in the news