USDA now require a permit for shipping all snails intestate.

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

USDA now require a permit for shipping all snails intestate.

Postby Canadiancray on Sat May 13, 2006 12:53 pm

I'm sure this has already been posted but just in case.

USDA-APHIS now require a permit for shipping all snails interstate. This includes all marine and freshwater snails.

Permits will not be issued for the genus Pomacea except P. bridgesii, spike-topped apple snail that are a minimum of 1.4 inches or 3.5 cm long.

Snails must be labeled, packaged for no escapees and may require a permit fee.

Permits will be issued for 3 years. No cost for permit. A copy of permit or the permit number must accompany each shipment.

Permits are available online, but you have to take a photo ID to an office near you for completion.

Terrestrial snails of the phylum Gastropoda do not need permits.

Shippers are strongly encouraged to use the e-permit system: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/permits/learn_epermits.shtml

Applications are made to ship Identified genus and species to a state, not an individual receiver. USDA-APHIS contacts the state to determine whether that state allows the species within its borders.

There is no fee for interstate shipments, but there may be a fee to import aquatic snails.

The receiver is encouraged to have a copy of permit or permit number on file.

There is no grace period. Aquatic snail shipments that do not include a permit are subject to seizure, quarantine, exportation, return to shipping point of origin, destruction, or other disposal.

E-permit applications may take 30 - 45 days to be issued. Paper applications via mail may take 60 - 70 days. There is the possibility of getting permit issuance quicker once a state has approved receiving a particular species of snail.

Snails unintentionally shipped with aquatic plants would not need a permit.

Much of the foregoing is copied word for word from the May/June 2006 issue of Florida Fish Farmer, The Florida Tropical Fish Farms Association Newsletter, PO Box 1519, Winter Haven, Florida 33882.
[URL=http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/index.php] Image
[/URL]
Canadiancray
Member snail
Member snail

Postby wyofish on Wed May 24, 2006 1:15 am

Does anyone know if this applies just to the ones that go through the postal service, or also to ones that're driven over state lines? I live fairly near the Montana state line and there's a pet store in Montana interested in my snails (brigs), so I am very curious 'cause I really don't want to get into trouble or anything.
The way to avoid housework is to live outside

Traders I've had good experiences with: bethany, dorn27, Angjo72, Mamaschild, water_sprite, Lady_Dodecagon, Snailbillie, Melody, Macgen02, will5, badflash, Musket, Aquaria, pbgroupie, Justintoxicated, Inb
wyofish
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Wed May 24, 2006 1:36 am

This is by the USDA, not the postal service, so yea, it applies even to your car. Brigs are not prohibited, but most others are. permits are required for all shipping of snails by any means.

There is no enforcement though. Unless you mark the box "live snails" I see no way short of an accident to be caught. If they don't stop the flood of illegals, how much time can they have for snails?

From what I understand, those that get caught get a warning and the snails are destroyed. This was even the case for the famous Giant African land Snail raid.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Canadiancray on Wed May 24, 2006 1:41 am

Huge loophole in this thing.

Snails unintentionally shipped with aquatic plants would not need a permit.
[URL=http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/index.php] Image
[/URL]
Canadiancray
Member snail
Member snail

Postby wyofish on Wed May 24, 2006 2:10 am

Lol...."honestly, I don't know HOW that golfball-sized snail got in with the plants...."

Traders I've had good experiences with: bethany, dorn27, Angjo72, Mamaschild, water_sprite, Lady_Dodecagon, Snailbillie, Melody, Macgen02, will5, badflash, Musket, Aquaria, pbgroupie, Justintoxicated, Inb
wyofish
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Wed May 24, 2006 3:31 am

Geeze, I thought that big pink ripply thing was an aquarium orniment... No telling where it came from. Not my fault :wink:
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Melody on Wed May 24, 2006 6:05 pm

There's not going to be a loophole for long if everyone keeps talking about it online. The officials have the Internet too.... sssshhhhhhh .... :wasntme:
}}=`:> Melody <:'={{
All Natural Pet Care
Melody
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Uninformed_Kitty on Thu May 25, 2006 10:30 pm

Melody wrote:There's not going to be a loophole for long if everyone keeps talking about it online. The officials have the Internet too.... sssshhhhhhh .... :wasntme:

Actually, I don't think they do. I know of a number of illegal things going on online completely in the open that authorities don't seem to notice. o.0 Go figure.
"Got it MEMORIZED?"
Uninformed_Kitty
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Rog on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:34 am

Well I am visiting my sister in Florida and my hubby said that a guy from USDA showed up at our house today. He had gone to where I take my snails to and they told him that they get their snails from me. So I have to call him tomorrow. I rarely ship snails as it is. They may just tell to get a premit. I don't know. Shannon
No really hon, that isn't another box of snails. REALLY LOL
Rog
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby wyofish on Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:39 am

USDA just had to clear the person that supplies to my workplace....took them a few months to let them start selling again!!! Some of that could be that they ship to several different states though....methinks I better get a permit anyways

wyofish
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Rog on Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:18 pm

Well I did talk to the USDA guy. He just said that Louisiana being a rice growing place so they were considered about the canas. I can not remember to much use were heard that my sister in law passed last night. Shannon
No really hon, that isn't another box of snails. REALLY LOL
Rog
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Donya on Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:24 pm

Uninformed_Kitty wrote:Actually, I don't think they do. I know of a number of illegal things going on online completely in the open that authorities don't seem to notice. o.0 Go figure.

Many things may slip by on the net, but this board has been watched in the past. I won't say who was involved or exactly what happened on the main board, but you should not regard this forum is a "safe zone" that is completely ignored by groups like the USDA.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby mr_mesutt on Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:11 pm

:dance:
Last edited by mr_mesutt on Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
mr_mesutt
Parent snail
Parent snail

read this

Postby cory dawg on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:12 am

cory dawg
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Uninformed_Kitty on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:54 am

Donya wrote:
Uninformed_Kitty wrote:Actually, I don't think they do. I know of a number of illegal things going on online completely in the open that authorities don't seem to notice. o.0 Go figure.

Many things may slip by on the net, but this board has been watched in the past. I won't say who was involved or exactly what happened on the main board, but you should not regard this forum is a "safe zone" that is completely ignored by groups like the USDA.

Oh, I don't see this as a safe zone at all. In fact, since it's an all-ages board, I wouldn't condone anything illegal here. I wouldn't want people encouraging my children to break the law. And honestly, this is one law I really think ought to be adhered to. A seller has no way of knowing what their buyer actually intends to do with their snails. What if you sold canas to someone who released them in warm agricultural areas? The results could be devastating.
"Got it MEMORIZED?"
Uninformed_Kitty
Parent snail
Parent snail

Next

Return to (Apple) snails in the news