USDA now require a permit for shipping all snails intestate.

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

illegal sales

Postby cory dawg on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:26 pm

I admit you have apoint there. There are those who don't adhere to what you are saying either. Where there is a pro there is a con, what goes up must come down. Do you honestly know how many people have fish or other aquatic creatures and suddenly don't want them anymore and get rid of them in a lake or river or creek or stream and so on.Then there are the cruel people who just "flush" them to get rid of them. That is releasing them in a way. Not saying you are going to have a 12 foot clown loach or apple snail living in the sewers like there was an "alligator" back in the 70's.. I have Canas I like them and I want more. looks like they will be hard to come by now...
cory dawg
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby wyofish on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Ugh, I've met all too many people like that....unfortunately, at work I can't refuse a sale to anyone. The other day a lady decided to buy a couple of clawed frogs for her pond, I told her they'd jump out with the setup she has....her attitude was like "oh well, if they leave they leave, they'll probably just end up finding the irrigation ditch etc.". After I stressed that releasing aquarium pets into the wild is a federal offense and can result in severe environmental and Fish & Game repercussions, SHE BOUGHT THEM ANYWAY!!!
The way to avoid housework is to live outside

Traders I've had good experiences with: bethany, dorn27, Angjo72, Mamaschild, water_sprite, Lady_Dodecagon, Snailbillie, Melody, Macgen02, will5, badflash, Musket, Aquaria, pbgroupie, Justintoxicated, Inb
wyofish
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Melody on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:52 pm

The laws are there because irresponsible and/or uneducated (about snails) people made them necessary. Whether we agree with them or not, they're still laws and no snail is worth the risk involved with breaking it, in my opinion.

If you're going to do it, discussing it online is practically asking for it. How do people sell across State/Country lines? How many of you buy national or international media ad's in order to sell Cana's? The Internet is what has made this kind of national and international trade possible for so many people, so naturally the authorities are going to start investigations online. Do a Google search on 'Cana Applesnail' and see how long it takes you to find this website. I'm betting this is one of the first places the authorities would land during investigations.

It would be very difficult to plead ignorance with all of the information here covering the new laws too :-? .

< :wave: @ authorities > But it IS an opportunity to demonstrate that most snail enthusiasts are not irresponsible, and that this website's goal is to educate, which can only improve the situation.

The way I see it anyway. :)
}}=`:> Melody <:'={{
All Natural Pet Care
Melody
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:02 pm

We also intend to consistently require that
shipments of aquatic snails, as with all other plant pests imported
under permit, be subject to inspection and to begin routinely and
consistently inspecting shipments of aquatic supplies or plants that
may contain aquatic snails.

So this looks like a catch 22. If you get a permit and display it on your package, they will inspect it anyway. This would seem to be a sure death sentence for your legal snails given the efficiency (or lack there of) of the USDA inspectors.

Anyone know how far north Canas can live in the wild? Could they ever pose a serious threat to the Arkansas rice crop? Loisiana I could see, but these guys can't survive freezing weather can they?

I'll bet if we follow the money trail we will find that someone with lots of $$$ grows rice and not snails.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby wyofish on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:19 pm

Along those same lines....how hot of weather can they stand? I know cold probably kills them faster than heat, but during the summer here it gets up to 115 degrees, even our native fish start dying on the hottest days :o
The way to avoid housework is to live outside

Traders I've had good experiences with: bethany, dorn27, Angjo72, Mamaschild, water_sprite, Lady_Dodecagon, Snailbillie, Melody, Macgen02, will5, badflash, Musket, Aquaria, pbgroupie, Justintoxicated, Inb
wyofish
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Previous

Return to (Apple) snails in the news