Wading through shipping permits

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

Postby badflash on Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:36 pm

I am so sory about your loss. I can't even imagine how it feels.

It is all about money. That is why the governmment allows the bars, tobacco, polutions, etc. That is also why they want to restrict snails. It is just money plain & simple. Bar owners, Tobacco Companies, Rice Farmers, all contribute huge amounts of money to polititians and pay huge taxes. There is no snail hobby lobby.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:47 pm

Christine, the spixi aren't considered "plant pests" at the moment. The "jury" is still out on them as they are plant eaters, but would die if their water source vanished (rice fields are flooded and then drained). However, since they have been found to cross with marissas, huge no-no snails for rice crops, they are not on the approved permit list either. HTH
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Lorenzo05 on Thu May 10, 2007 5:08 am

ok I am trying to apply for permits but it keeps telling me to upgrade to level 2 access. Did you all have to do that? I actually have to take my driver's license to a facility in order to have level 2 access?? The closest facility is 45 minutes away. Just to drive there and show them my license? :o
Lorenzo05
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby badflash on Thu May 10, 2007 11:46 am

Yes, they made me show up in person to show my ID.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

permits

Postby vsgrl68 on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:17 am

Ok, so I just went to the USDA website and tried looking for those forms and didnt find anything. What topics am I supose to look under? God this is so much more complicated then I thought it would be! lol!
vsgrl68
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby PaulaO on Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:54 am

PaulaO
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

snail banning

Postby vsgrl68 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:04 am

Most of us on here are breeders right? With our own Web sites right? Well mine is still in progress, but anyways... I have read what you all have had to say about this topic and been thinking about it a lot. It seems like most of you, like me, want to do something about it. So why don't we all wright a web page about snail banning together and post it on our sites? Like why this is happening, like I have heard form you this is happening because some snail owners think its acceptable to let their pets go if they get to big for their tanks. The best defense against something like this, is to inform people its happening. Like one of you said 'why do they have to take samples? Its like trying to register your 4 dogs and having them tell you they need a sample one.' What do you guys think?
vsgrl68
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby PaulaO on Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:58 am

Actually, very few of the members here actively and purposely breed snails for resale. The rest of us breed them to experience raising them then need permits to find them all homes.

There exists a site called "Protect Your Waters" which promotes stopping hitchhikers. They also discuss unsafe release of aquarium critters.

http://www.protectyourwaters.net/

I have one of their banners on my fish site.
PaulaO
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Hmm

Postby CrystalTears on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:27 pm

What exactly -is- the website... the direct link, if possible, to the permit-getting site?

I've waded through the site and just... wow never found a way to get it. The site was pretty confusing to me.
Thanks, Erin.
CrystalTears
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:41 pm

They don't make it easy.
http://www.eauth.egov.usda.gov/eauthCreateAccount.html
The process is actually a lot simpler than it sounds. Apply for level 2 access on line, show up at a place that can verify your ID, then go on line and submit a permit for each state you want to ship to. Once you get the 1st permit approved you can just copy it and change the state.

They are only granting permits for adult brigs, so to save you trouble just put in for that.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Ahh

Postby CrystalTears on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Okay thanks!
Thanks, Erin.
CrystalTears
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby gomezaddams on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:07 am

I just filled out my first permit application.apply for resale/breeder instead of other and just adults and the permit got alot simpler.Anyone know how long it takes?
waiting will fill
gomezaddams
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby badflash on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:16 am

It takes about a week normally. They will only approve adult snail shipments. Once you get your permit approved, you can just copy it over & change the state.

Glad to see you here. I've seen your offers on Aquabid and figured we'd see you here sooner or later. There are quite a few NY breeders here.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby gomezaddams on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:45 am

Thanks for the welcome!Ive lurked here on and off for a few years now.only started getting serious about selling recently as my fishroom reached 40 tanks!Ill be in your area in 2 weeks at the daas annual auction maybe Ill see you there
waiting will fill
gomezaddams
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby badflash on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:30 pm

I had a falling out with DAAS leadership and discontinued my membership.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

PreviousNext

Return to (Apple) snails in the news