I will have to surrender two snails tomorrow

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

I will have to surrender two snails tomorrow

Postby Happy Clam on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:06 pm

I thought this community might want to be aware of this, and I would appreciate an opportunity to share.

I purchase two marisas nine months ago and have absolutely loved them. Yesterday I received a call from someone at our local branch office of the USDA. He said he needed to talk to me about a shippment of snails I had received. He informed me that it is illegal to transport these snails across state lines and that the snails would need to be confiscated and destroyed.

He will be coming by my office tomorrow morning to pick them up and take them away. I am of course very, very sad. :cry: Thanks for letting me share.

Much less than Happy Clam
Happy Clam
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby jonfr on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:19 pm

When did transport of these snails become illegal ?
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:03 pm

In 2000 the US Congress passed a plant protection act that gave broad powers to the USDA to declare just about anything a plant pest. Once they do they can require a permit to ship across state lines, or outright ban shipment. So far the only snail they are issueing permits for are Brigs, and they are adding to the banned snail list pretty fast.

If they find you've shipped a banned snail they can take it and kill it.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby nichjake on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:43 pm

Thats horrible. So I guess they are actually keeping an eye on things. Its a shame irresponsible people had to let their critters go and ruin it for people like us.
nichjake
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Pollux on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:38 pm

this is terrible.
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:45 pm

It's a shame that thease snails are forbidden in the USA now. They aren't forbidden in Iceland, becose they are no threat. I doubt that they can even survive the summer here.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Heidi on Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:59 am

Why can't you just say you got rid of them yourself? What can they do to you if you say that?
Heidi
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Heidi on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:06 am

What a bunch of morons these government people are, there are so many more bigger problems in this world that they SHOULD be taking care of, like under age drinking and the bars who encourage this behavior in young people, OH but wait that would cut down on the money the government would make if underage kids didn't drink.
Heidi
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Heidi on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:07 am

one more thing, I wouldn't surrender anything to the government.
Heidi
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Heidi on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:49 am

Maybe you could suggest to this person coming to take the snails that they should be concentrating their efforts ridding Lake Erie from the zebra mussels that have come in on ships. There are so many zebra mussels that if you go bare foot on the beaches your feet get cut up and also when the seagalls eat the mussels they get sick and die so seagulls are laying on the beaches dying/dead.

Also I wonder if these are the ones that let zillions of ladybug type things loose to get rid of gypsy moths? These things sting, get in your house in hords (still have them in the dead of winter), they stink and mess on the walls. It's a terrible mess they created with these bugs!!!
Heidi
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Mr Snailz on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:07 am

bummer.....
Last edited by Mr Snailz on Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Snailz
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:58 am

I can't believe this! :angry: Don't they know you've had them in your tank for 9 months and they're not a threat in any way? I know there are rules and laws, but come on! There are a lot more important pests out there they should be spending their time on. I wouldn't give them up either--I would euthanize them myself if they left me no choice--at least that way you'd know it was done with love and kindness. I'm so sorry this happened to you, what a shame! :(
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby plecoperson on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:21 am

I would think that the person who shipped the snails would be the one to go after, if going-after is required.

I'm so sorry this happened, Unhappy Clam..... :evil:
plecoperson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:59 am

I'm sure they went after the person who shipped the snails and they provided a list of all the people they shipped them too. The USDA could care less about anything hard to do, so going after zebra muscles would be like going after ilegal aliens. It isn't going to happen. Besides, zebra muscles are a problem for another agency. Beng able to pass the buck is the beauty of government. Let the fish & wildlife boys deal with that one.

Yes, the mistake was being honest and saying the snails were still alive. Oliver North's lawyer (remember Iran contra?) has a large fish harnging in his office. It has a cartoon balloon coming out of its mouth that says "If I'd kept my mouth closed, I wouldn't be here."

Words to live by. If anyone asks, you've had your snails since 1999 and got them in a local flea market.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:46 am

For reasons probably to complex to explain here, I have a very strict personal code against lying/omiting the truth. however, if someone tried to take one of my animals away to be destroyed, no law, rule or personal code would stop me from trying to save it.

I don't know how you could save your 2 Marissas now that this USDA guy knows they are alive and is coming to get them.
But maybe an unfortunate and completely coincidental accident will occur between now and tomorrow, killing your snails. Maybe you have some empty shells to show as proof of their demise.
Maybe if the USDA is going to this much trouble they are also monitoring this website and thus we should all keep our mouths shut.
Maybe all this is making me paranoid. :spooked:
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Next

Return to (Apple) snails in the news