snails and the USDA? applesnails are illegal!?

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

Postby Pollux on Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:58 am

hehehe
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:19 am

mvigor wrote:Yeah, I had a massive Cana die-off too. Doesn't that stink?

Nothing stinks like a dead snail ;-(
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Mitch, I'm sorry you are having trouble with the feds over the purchase of snails. I have edited several posts iby various member in this thread to remove the name of the person you purchased them from as we do not allow flaming of members. However, you have some very intersting information that I feel is important for the members to know if they purchase snails that were shipped without a permit. Now some points:

1. It has been illegal for several years to ship snails that were considered plant pests without a permit.

2. The USDA/aphis did not inforce these laws until the beginning of this year. The order came down in March and was posted to all agents by April.

3. What type of snail did you purchase? If you purchased a canna, then the USDA will want to take it. If it was bridgs shipped without a permit, then they might want to take them as well.

4. Give the member you mentioned time to respond to your e-mail. This is the holiday season after all and many people are traveling and shopping.

5. The member had no choice but to give the feds the names and addresses of anyone s/he shipped snails to. When you apply for permits this is one of the conditions you agree to. You must keep records for two years of anyone you shipped snails to.

6. The member you speak of is no longer selling cannas and has not been for several months. A visit to their "store" confirmed that they had no cannas in residence. The ones that the member previously had for sale were disposed of in a humane manner when it was discovered that they were illegal to own in the state of Texas. (This information was given to me directly from the USDA/aphis when I was talking to one of their officers, so I know it's a fact.)

7. Many of us sold snails across state lines without a permit until we discovered that the USDA/aphis was cracking down. Reputable sellers should have their permits by now (they only take about a month to aquire) and they should include a copy of their permit in their shipments. A note to anyone in the US that is considering purchasing snails--make sure your seller has a permit or your shipment could be grabbed as well.

Again, Mitch, I'm sorry you are having to go through all of this but I don't think that the member would have knowingly shipped you the snails just to get you into trouble. It was a mistake that the member and other members have made and are paying for. I'm PM'ing you with some other advice.

Suz
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Heidi on Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:54 pm

Does this mean if you had received brigs from out of state from someone who didn't have a permit that the feds could take the brigs?
Heidi
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby badflash on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:16 pm

Legally, yes, but they probably would not bother. Brigs are not what they are after. They want all the plant eaters dead.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:35 am

I guess they have problems with the native snail in the U.S then.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Previous

Return to (Apple) snails in the news