Spixi not allowed to be shipped

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

Spixi not allowed to be shipped

Postby pbgroupie on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:54 am

I had applied for a test permit to see if I could get a letter from the USDA/aphis of "No Jurisdiction" to ship spixi. My permit to ship to a cold-weather state (New York) was denied. The only conclusion I can draw is that you are no longer able to ship spixi across state lines now as you can not get a permit for them. They are considered plant eaters and have been known to cross with marisias (another plant eater). Just thought I'd pass along this warning to the US residents.

Suz
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby badflash on Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:06 am

That is a real shame as my pure un-crossed spixies do not eat plants at any stage. This is eapecially troublesome considering they are no threat to anything in NY.
Last edited by badflash on Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Heidi on Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:26 pm

I agree with you badflash, mine have never touched any of my plants and I have many plants in the tank.
Heidi
Parent snail
Parent snail

bummer

Postby monia on Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:30 pm

Can you own them if you aquire them in your state? I don't know anyone who has them in Mi but I've been keeping an eye out. Thanks. Moni
monia
Little snail
Little snail

Postby nichjake on Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 pm

I don't think its against the law to own them, just so long as they didn't cross state lines to get to you.
nichjake
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby badflash on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:06 am

There are no federal laws against ownership of any snail, ever giant african land snails, believe it or not. I asked the USDA point blank and they said they have no laws against ownership, just transport. That being said, they can make you prove your got them locally, and take them if you can't.

You should also check with local laws as some states have bans on specific animals. I doubt that they even know what a spixie is though.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to (Apple) snails in the news