USDA took my Marisa snails today

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

USDA took my Marisa snails today

Postby xxricey on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 pm

In September I received Marisa snails from an ebay seller in Michigan. Today, a representative from the USDA came to my door and asked for them. I obliged and gave him the snails. He said I hadn't done anything wrong but the seller in Michigan was not permitted to sell them to me.

He assured me they weren't going to be killed, although one would have to be sent off for identification.

Has anyone had anything like this happen before? And what do they do with the living specimans?
xxricey
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:06 am

Hello and welcome to the forum family. I'm just sorry we have to meet under such sad circumstances.

Since 2006 the USDA/aphis inspectors have been cracking down on the people who are shipping snails without permits. Marisa snails are one of the species that have been determined to be "harmful pests" because they like to eat plants. Due to big problems overseas in rice growing areas, they have banned the shipping of these snails to anyone in the US (we grow rice here too) unless they are going to be used in research.

We have heard of the inspectors knocking on doors before and taking the illegal shipments, so you are not alone. I'm not sure what they do with the animals they take, but the possibility of them being killed does exist. I'm sorry. I hope you can get your money back from the person you bought them from. You may have to go through ebay customer service for help.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby rpilla001 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:43 am

That sucks, but in the end a good thing. NC could have a problem if these snails were to get loose along the coastal marsh areas.

You should be able to find someone in NC who sells them. Unless I am mistaken you can still ship within State lines without permits.
Keep on Sliming
Sincerely
Rpilla
rpilla001
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby crystal blue on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:02 am

I agree with Ropert. It really sucks.
crystal blue
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:42 am

totally :(
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby xxricey on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:00 am

I had these snails when I was a kid.! It was nice to have them again, I'm really sore about this.

They did lay tons of eggs, but I never saw anything emerge from them. I left the eggs undisturbed (several weeks) until they basically fell apart. Last week, I vacuumed the eggs out and removed all the plants from the tank to my patio pond. Does anyone think its possible I have some jueveniles alive that are just to small to see? The eggs were mostly laid in early September. I turned the heat on in the pond in case some babies are in those plants and I'm keeping the lights on in the aquarium longer to grow some algae, just in case.

I'm just searching for a fragment of hope right now...
xxricey
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: USDA took my Marisa snails today

Postby rainman on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 pm

I live in Michigan and bought the SAME snails from ebay. What was the users name?

Thanks,
Ryan M.
§
fish come and fish go, but the a tank always seems to end up in the back room :)
rainman
Little snail
Little snail

Re: USDA took my Marisa snails today

Postby pbgroupie on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:25 pm

This thread is almost two years old so you may not get a reply from the member. Even though the permits are no longer required to ship bridgesii/diffusa, unless the seller lives in your state, it is still illegal to ship marisas. The USDA/aphis watches the auctions on eBay, AquaBid, etc. to catch people selling snails that are not legal to ship. They can/will/have also taken the snails from the buyers too. Please be careful when buying/selling snails that have been put on the "no shipping" list.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to (Apple) snails in the news