Pila conica

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

Pila conica

Postby Lupin on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:32 am

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have records of the Pila conica already extinct? I live in the Philippines myself and I would like to know whether they still exist or not. These are the same gastropods my grandfather mentioned that they used to eat. I tried to hunt for records of their existence but so far, no more information has been found other than the fact they have been overcollected and also displaced by the invasion of Pomacea canaliculata. If I can find these snails, I'm hoping I could breed them. As for possibly restoring the population, I really don't know if this is fine considering the risks that they may carry if released in the wild. Any links to the records is appreciated. Thank you.

Lupin
:dance: In love with goldfish and snails.

To know better about goldfish, you can find a lot of info on them in GAB.
:dance:
Lupin
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Pila conica

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:33 pm

These snails aren't extinct. Here's a link from the species page:

http://www.applesnail.net/content/speci ... conica.htm
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Lupin on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi pbgroupie,

I've read that one already. I'm glad you confirmed they aren't.:dance: I was really sure they aren't because in a local forum, some people seem to think they are despite my persistence believing there could still be isolated populations. They seemed to have vanished from the farmlands. My grandfather recalled them and complained that he could not find one anymore than he used to before.

Lupin

Lupin
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:06 pm

It could be that most of the surviving populations are in India. It is my understanding that when the golden apple snail (pomecea canaliculata) was introduced as a food source, it overcompeted most of the native species and ran them out of their natural habitats. Then when the GAS were found not to be as tasty, and became a pest instead, there was some overreaction and a lot of snails were destroyed--not just the GAS. Hopefully you'll be able to locate some.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Lupin on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:32 pm

pbgroupie wrote:It could be that most of the surviving populations are in India. It is my understanding that when the golden apple snail (pomecea canaliculata) was introduced as a food source, it overcompeted most of the native species and ran them out of their natural habitats. Then when the GAS were found not to be as tasty, and became a pest instead, there was some overreaction and a lot of snails were destroyed--not just the GAS. Hopefully you'll be able to locate some.

Yes, I agree. I took my time all day two weeks ago to read every article I could find about the Pila conica and discovered the canas are mainly responsible for their displacement. The part about GAS not being tasty has been confirmed by my grandfather. He tried one and was not impressed. I asked him in two Sundays to relate everything about the snails he had experienced. He added he very much preferred the Pila conica for food as it did not need additional soy sauce to be tasty. :err:

I'm still hopeful I can find them. Will ask him if he can help me on that project as I am determined to see this snail even for once. I've actually never seen them in person at all since they vanished a few years back. :(

Lupin
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Lupin on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:02 pm

Pbgroupie, someone informed me they found some in a remote place. I'll be happy to upload pics of them when I get them. I'm so excited!

Lupin
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Excellent! Can't wait to see them.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to (Apple) snails in the news