Apparently, Snails sleep!

Have you seen interesting snail related news items? Or looking for what is being published about snails?

Moderator: Board moderators

Apparently, Snails sleep!

Postby tiakachina on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:51 am

Very interesting.... I'd like to see these studies reproduced using various other snail species....

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-evidence-snails.html
tiakachina
Little snail
Little snail

Re: Apparently, Snails sleep!

Postby Steph on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:55 am

It is interesting on an intellectual level - and interesting (to me at least) on a meta level that researchers are investigating whether or not snails sleep.

But...

I'm sure any aquarium snail enthusiast could tell you that their snails sleep! :)

Certainly I have no doubts that my apple snails sleep. I even recognize their 'waking up' behavior, as it is consistant from one day to the next (or one nap to the next).
Steph
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Apparently, Snails sleep!

Postby tiakachina on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:35 am

I have only cared for snails for a few months, but I am starting to identify wake/sleep cycles too.

I did think it was hilarious that they rest for a few hours and then become little grazing/mating machines for 30 hours straight... :lol: sounds about right!

I only want more studies because many people isolate instances like these and say "well that doesn't necessarily mean other snail species sleep". I am a majoring biology and I come across that 'burden of proof' mentality so often, especially in regard to animals.

It kind of reminds me of the big hullabaloo a couple years back about the chimpanzee who was collecting stones to throw at zoo-goers. It was supposedly so profound to science that an ape would premeditate anything, but the idea that it was *such* a surprise to people seemed almost ridiculous to me. :iambetter:
tiakachina
Little snail
Little snail

Return to (Apple) snails in the news