Color Names for Pomacea diffusa

How to recognize a snail species?
What kind of snail is walking around in your tank?
Only registered user can post here.

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Color Names for Pomacea diffusa

Postby Donya on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:30 am

PLEASE NOTE: This is a first draft! I sincerely hope that all of the credits have been used correctly for the names, and if any errors are found in the crediting I will try to fix it asap. Discussion is welcome, but at some point I may end up splitting the thread or removing old posts if it is a matter of issue resolution to keep things both up-to-date and concise for new readers. Also, I must appologise for the messy table format. The original list was tabulated and those did not copy well into the forum, so I had to substitute underscores (which in turn will align differently depending on the font). I will try to get a cleaned-up HTML version posted somewhere soon and will link it from this post.

---------------------------
Introduction
The following tables list color inheritance model names and common names for colors in Pomaca diffusa (formerly incorrectly referred to as P. bridgesii on this board, corrected by Ken Hayes). The original color model contained eight colors and three traits, and was developed by Stijn Ghesquiere. It can be seen here: http://www.applesnail.net/content/genetics/colour_genes/colour_genes.htm. Subsequent colors were defined and added by myself, and has been ongoing work since 2003. If anyone is interested in collaborating on analysis and testing of the extended color model that is part of my continuing work, please contact me via e-mail at DonyaVQ "at" netscape "dot" net. More information on my version of the current 9-trait extended model can be found here: http://lyle.smu.edu/~dquick/snails/bridgesii_advgenes.htm.

Use of information in class work and on web pages
Over time, a number of high school and college students have contacted me regarding use of color model material in essays and other class assignments. The material contained here is based on past and ongoing research. If you use information from Stijn's original model or my extended model in any sort of written document in an academic setting or on a web page, please reference the appropriate author or authors by name, and applesnail.net if applicable.

Information and modification to color name credits
Model names are credited to the individual that, as far as I know, first used the name in a color model. Many of the common names have "NA" or "unknown" listed. If you feel a source should be credited for a common name, please e-mail me. However, understand that the list may not change when concerning common names. Certain common names like "chestnut" and "purple" will not be included in this list unless the greater snail community can settle on a much narrower phenotype range referred to by the color. Likewise, if you see "none" for a common name and have seen the color referred to by a unique name, please e-mail me, but understand that I will not use this list to support names used by only a single breeder for sales or advertising purposes.

Terminology
Group: designated in all capitals; the top-level classification system for the colors, originally implemented by me to distinguish new colors from the original eight phenotypes documented by Stijn Ghesquiere.

Model name format: Name (form). Not all model names have a form. Forms are used to distinguish colors that are very difficult to distinguish by eye.

Model name origin: the original person to have used the name in a color model. This does not refer to who first found the phenotype (which generally were not named until some time later).

Common name origin: the entity or person that developed the common name. NA is used for colors that only use the model name to the best of my knowledge. Unknown is used where the common name arose without a clear source. Forum refers to applesnail.net's discussion board and conversations among its members.

DSP = dark striped purple
CSB = clear shell base
SP = striped purple
LSP = light striped purple
(y) = shortening of (yellow)
(b) = shortening of (brown)
(g) = shortening of (green)
(y-b) = shortening of (yellow-brown)

Common Misconceptions
The "light" in "light striped purple" does not refer to body color. When the name was developed, the "dark" prefix referred to foot color and the "light" prefix referred to shell base color for light-footed varieties only. LSP has been problematic enough as a term that I changed the model name to Peppermint. However, having been floating around since 2003-2004, the name LSP still floats around a lot, but generally is misapplied to snails that are in fact a form of striped purple. Also, the term "olive" was used because of pre-existing common names. "Olive" refers to a green color, not a brown color.

Phenotype Descriptions

Please note that any of the following may change if typos are found, if the model or common names change, or if sources for name origins are corrected.

NO-GROUP COLORS

These colors contain no visible color in the shell, or will show an off-white color due to impurities in the shell.

Model name__________Common name__________Shell base, stripe color, foot color_____Model name/common name origin
Blue_______________Blue_______________clear, none, dark_______________Stijn Ghesquiere/NA
Ivory_______________Ivory_______________clearn, none, light_______________Stijn Ghesquiere/NA

------------

YELLOW-BROWN COLORS

(originally contained NO-GROUP colors in older model versions)

These colors are characterized by yellow to brown hues.

Model name__________Common name__________Shell base, stripe color, foot color_____Model name/common name origin
Burgundy__________none_______________red-brown, brown, light_______________Donya Quick/NA
Dark Burgundy__________none_______________red-brown, brown, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA_____
Dark Plain Burgundy_____none_______________red-brown, none, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
Gold-Striped Blue_____none_______________clear, yellow, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
Gold-Striped Ivory_____none_______________clear, yellow, light_______________Donya Quick/NA
Golden_______________Gold/Golden__________yellow, none, light_______________Stijn Ghesquiere/unknown
Gold-Striped Gold_____Gold/Golden__________yellow, yellow, light_______________Donya Quick/unknown
Jade_______________Jade_______________yellow, none, dark_______________Stijn Ghesquiere/NA
Red-Brown__________none_______________red-brown, none, dark_______________Stijn Ghesquiere/NA_____
Red-White__________none_______________red-brown, none, light_______________Stijn Ghesquiere/NA
Striped Yellow (yellow)_____Striped Yellow__________yellow, brown, light_______________Stijn Ghesquiere (form: Donya Quick)/NA
Striped Yellow (y-b)_____Striped Yellow__________yellow, dark brown, light_______________Stijn Ghesquiere (form: Donya Quick)/NA
Striped Yellow (brown)_____Striped Yellow__________yellow-brown, brown, light__________Stijn Ghesquiere (form: Donya Quick)/NA_____
Wild (yellow)__________Wild _______________yellow, brown, dark_______________Stijn Ghesquiere (form: Donya Quick)/unknown
Wild (brown)__________Wild/Black__________dark brown, darker brown, dark__________Stijn Ghesquiere (form: Donya Quick)/unknown

------------

PURPLE GROUP

These colors are characterized by purple hes, typically magenta to violet, and sometimes pink when the shell is thin.

Dark Plain Margenta_____none_______________magenta, none, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
Dark Plain Violet_____none_______________violet, none, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
DSP Blue-Green_____none_______________cyan, purple to brown, dark__________Donya Quick/NA
DSP CSB (magenta)_____DSP CSB__________clear, magenta, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
DSP CSB (violet)_____DSP CSB__________clear, violet, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
DSP (magenta)__________DSP_______________magenta, magenta, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
DSP (magenta/violet)_____DSP_______________magenta, violet, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
DSP (violet)__________Violet_______________violet, violet, dark_______________Donya Quick/forum
Peppermint/LSP__________Peppermint__________magenta, none, light_______________Donya Quick/forum
Peppermint (violet)_____Peppermint__________violet, none, light_______________Donya Quick/forum
SP (magenta)__________Magenta__________magenta, magenta, light_______________Donya Quick/forum
SP (magneta-violet)_____Magenta__________magenta, violet, light_______________Donya Quick/forum
SP (violet)__________Magenta/Violet__________violet, violet, light_______________Donya Quick/forum

------------

OLIVE GROUP

Dark Plain Olive__________none_______________green, none, dark_______________Donya Quick/NA
Dark Striped Olive (b)_____Olive_______________green, green, dark_______________Donya Quick/unknown
Dark Striped Olive (g)_____Olive_______________green, brown, dark_______________Donya Quick/unknown
Plain Olive*__________none_______________green, none, light_______________Donya Quick/NA
Striped Olive (green)*_____none_______________green, green, light_______________Donya Quick/NA
Striped Olive (brown)*_____none_______________green, green, light_______________Donya Quick/NA

* too rare to have studied the color very well at this point in time
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby pbgroupie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:27 am

Donya, this is a lot like the chart we used in the calendar last year (the one that Kate helped compile from your information). The only thing that wasn't added on that was the model name/common name origin. I'll see if I can find a way to covert it from PrintMaster to here. Might make it a bit easier to read.

Ignore the bottom of the page--it was filler. :wink:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Re: Color Names for Pomacea diffusa

Postby Josh Young on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 pm

In the charts above I cannot find Yellow shell base with Purple stripes... for either Dark or Light footed specimens.
I have snails fitting this description. I am calling them Pseudo-wildtype in my notes at present.
Josh Young
Parent snail
Parent snail

Re: Color Names for Pomacea diffusa

Postby Donya on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Odds are the purple stripes are more brownish than would be the case on a white/clear shell, which would put it in striped yellow (if with a light foot) or wild (dark foot). Prominent purple stripes near the umbilicus is common on some striped yellows and wilds due to fading yellow pigment on that side. However, stripes elsewhere on the shell will be brown tinted or distinctly brown. Some snails show a lightened umbilicus, some don't. Sometimes distribution of yellow pigment can also be uneven over the shell (moreso than just near the umbilicus). This can happen in the cases of very thin shells and irregular or very fast growth patterns.

Another possibility for light-footed individuals is that the shell base can actually be clear while the yellow color comes from the body color inside the shell. Yellow flesh colors do show up, giving the foot and body a sort of butterscotch color. This might not tint the stripes, especially on new growth where the body color doesn't interfere as much. Yellow flesh colors are not included in the model in this thread since it is fairly rare and therefore the interitance pattern is currently unclear. I have also seen a few examples of yellow-footed snails with dark body pigment, giving an unusual brownish color rather than the usual blue-black that comes from white flesh with dark pigment.

To date I have never seen a striped Pomacea diffusa with a yellow shell base that exhibits truely magenta or violet stripes uniformly over the shell without some degree of brownish tint caused by the yellow pigment. For alternating magenta/violet and yellow to occur without a brownish tint to the stripes, the shell base colors would have to be fully absent from the areas where the stripes occur, which I have never seen. If you have actually seen an example of this kind of pattern, please try to get a quality picture in good lighting to document it and share it here, since this kind of color showing up would require a complete overhaul of the trait models.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Apple snail species