Acclimation of MTS to salt water

Other freshwater snails, like MTS, viviparidae, and etc.

Moderator: Board moderators

Acclimation of MTS to salt water

Postby badflash on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:50 pm

I understand you can acclimate MTS to salt water. Has anyone done it, and if so, how fast can you acclimate them?
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Where did you read/hear this exactly?
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby badflash on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:53 pm

From the guy that runs the shrimp forum I belong to.
http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=839&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

3rd post on that page. I've never known him to put out bum info. However, he is on a rampage right now about postings of non-shrimp questions, so I figured I'd ask here.

In general, if you have a snail the goes both ways, how do you acclimate them to salt?
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby demented_lullaby on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:26 pm

Haha Mustafas a cool guy but a bit over-zealous!

I didn't think they could tolerate full on sw. I know they can survive(and breed)in very brackish conditions. I just dumped them in the tank...went to tear it down to set it up for SW the other week...wow so many MTS. I was ldigging through the gravel pulling and pulling them out..over and over...resiliant little buggers. Not in my reef tank though :). There are lots of other SW friendly snails.
~Tales of Legendia~
"brother and sister"

...Forever and a day...

PUFFERZPWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111one
demented_lullaby
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 pm

There is a species I found in brackish water, hence why I asked for the source. I would still not believe full SW though unless I saw a picture of one happily alive in a saltwater environment. I have to wonder if there is some species confusion since there are very MTS-looking marine snails that are in fact unrelated (relatively speaking).
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby badflash on Wed May 03, 2006 2:53 am

Yea, I'd be happy to if someone would give me a hint on how fast I can change them over to salt. Any general giudelines? 24 hours, 24 days?
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby luvfishies on Wed May 03, 2006 3:14 am

I've acclimated mine over from FW to 1.010 SG over the course of a few weeks, while I was changing a tank from FW to BW.

I just did daily 25% waterchanges with water that was 1.010, my target SG. The MTS were just fine with this.
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Donya on Wed May 03, 2006 3:45 am

24 hours would kill most even resiliant inverts going through that change in salinity. 1.010 is in the salinity range I found them in the wild in Florida. It was a particular Thiara/Tarebia species that was living in with brackish mussels. If someone is desperate to try it, acclimation to full sw range (1.020+) could be attempted but make sure you do it over a period of a couple months so you can watch for any adverse reaction...give the snails a chance to hint that they dont' like the water (leaving the water, not eating, sitting closed up, etc.). My guess is not all species will tollerate the shift well, but some may be able to go up to 1.010 pretty quickly (e.g. that Tarebia sp. I found). Still, in experimenting with Nerites, I would not take any snails, no matter what the species, from 100% fresh to 1.020 sg in any less than 1-2 months. Longer is probably better if it must be done.

And just a disclaimer in case anyone is wondering, this is NOT something to try on other snails! The MTS and Nerites cases may be a rare exception, but the general rule is that if it's a freshwater animal, that's where it should stay! The same applies to saltwater animals staying in saltwater.

(Not trying to derail the thread or rant...I have just been asked way too many times about acclimation both ways and don't want someone to get the wrong idea that this thread could apply to any aquatic snail)
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby badflash on Fri May 05, 2006 5:03 pm

I'm told it is a 2 step process, and I'm trying it now. Put them in 50% seawater, wait until they start moving around and feeding, then put them in full seawater. I started last night. This morning several were moving around. These guys are tough.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Sat May 06, 2006 11:10 pm

WHOA! Directly into 50% marine water is way to fast for an invert to be sure of avoiding internal problems :err: You should have done the shift over a much longer period than overnight...
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby badflash on Sat May 06, 2006 11:33 pm

These guys are tougher than you think. Today they were all moving around and feeding. Today they go into the full salt. I'll keep you posted.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Sun May 07, 2006 12:10 am

Some fish can be dumped straight into saltwater too without them dying. That doesn't mean they don't suffer health complications from it. Tough species or not, I'm sorry but this is NOT the way to do a safe acclimation with any animal.
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby luvfishies on Sun May 07, 2006 12:52 am

Oh, I have to agree with Donya here. 24/48 hours just isn't enough time for any creature to acclimate properly to that large a salinity change. Osmoregulatory processes need time to "adjust" without harming the creature involved.

As I posted already, I have done FW to Brackish with MTS, but over a much longer period of time.
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby badflash on Sun May 07, 2006 2:06 am

There are species of snails right here in my own Hudson Valley that do just fine with abrupt changes from fresh to salt. Any place that has tidal river effects where the salt wedge moves back & forth has animals that can deal with this just fine.

Hold your judgement until the results are in. If I end up with 100% survival, like it looks like I will, and they start breeding in salt water, as my mentor says they will, you will need to reconsider.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby luvfishies on Sun May 07, 2006 2:37 am

I look forward to reading the outcome of your acclimation process.
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Next

Return to Other freshwater snails